Sunday, March 16, 2008

Contrapunctus 9 kills my cello...


So thur morning before going to work i was getting in some practice on the most difficult piece we are doing in the orch, Bach Contrapunctas 9. I'm sawing away, and i hear this loud crack, d string goes way flat and my cello sounds really weird.
Upon further inspection that evening i found a open seam right near the endpin block. Well now i know what that sounds like. Hopefully this doesn't happen often. I keep it in a humidified room but have been carting it around to various places lately, since joining the
university orch. I'm borrowing a old cello from my teacher but it's not my fave, and hard to play, but better than nothing.

The whole orchestra thing seems to be getting a little bit more comfortable, even though i screw up all the time. It took me about 4 trials the other night to come it at just the right time.... sigh. Good thing everyone is supportive and helpful, otherwise i'd probably just quit.
I still need lots of practice on the material, this was made clear by Conducter who knows my teacher, said after wed rehersal," show those to M , I know she'll know what to do."
sigh.....i thought that was kinda funny.

I have been trying to practice the real fast passages very slow, as is recommended by so many teachers including my own. It is hard but i am making a concerned effort to slow down! Get it right then increase the tempo, and use only a short bow stroke.

1 comment:

musanim said...

That's the hardest Art of Fugue piece to play in ensemble, for sure. And the difficulty is as much mental (aural) as physical: just *hearing* what's going on is difficult --- let alone playing it! Something you might want to try to work on the hearing/thinking part is to listen to the piece as a whole while following alone with a score, for example, with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_GMnQvj6E

Once you can follow easily and always know where the beats are, then tapping the rhythm of the bass part on the table (takes two hands, since it goes fast). Then, if you can turn the volume up high enough, play along with the recording.